Tourism of Indonesia
Ready to Go to Saumlaki
Planning to go on a tour or travelling, we definitely want a smooth trip, comfortable accommodation, cheap hotels, good food, cheap plane tickets, close to everywhere, and can rent a motorbike or car.
In Saumlaki, there is natural beauty and unique culture of the local community. There are many uniqueness, starting from the village (desa), sub-district (kecamatan), district (kabupaten) and provincial levels.
In Indonesia, each province has different and interesting characteristics. Each province has a different and unique culture and lifestyle.
Saumlaki is a village on Yamdena Island, in the Tanimbar Islands, Maluku
This is the place in the eastern waters of Indonesia, between the Aru and Kei Islands to the east, and Timor Island to the west, are strings of islands with light blue outlines, known as the Tanimbar Islands or the Tanimbars.
These islands are composed of 65 small islands which form part of the province of Maluku (Moluccas). Some of the named ones are Fordate, Larat, Molu, Maru, Wotap, Wuliaru, Selu, Sera, Selaru, and the largest one is Yamdena.
Sailing from Darwin, Australia towards the Banda Sea with Banda Neira or Ambon as your main destination, then Saumlaki on the densely wooded Island of Yamdena, is your first stop in the Indonesian waters to process your Immigration and Customs formalities, and to refresh your stamina.
Saumlaki is the largest town in the Tanimbars. The town is growing where Christian missionaries’ influences can be found everywhere.
The port of Saumlaki is on the south coast of Yamdena. The western part of the island is still swampy and less hilly compared to its east side.
Layers of coastal houses look peaceful as a towering large façade of the town’s church stands among lush trees. Two thirds of Tanimbarese are Catholics and Protestants. The remainder are Moslems, Buddhists, and animism believers.
This Saumlaki was visited by the Dutch in 1629 and claimed in 1639 under the right of discovery, the Tanimbars are, nonetheless, less influenced by colonialism, except by persistent missionaries.
Although the islands do not have many attractions, yet adventurers may find them historically interesting.
The government is taking good care of the preservation of nature and maintaining the condition of the forest.
The environment is also well maintained.
Visiting Saumlaki, we will witness routine community activities in unique traditional cultures. And there are special dishes and food as part of culinary tours that are delicious and yummy.
There are several activities and places of interest that can inspire us when visiting the islands.
- On the way to Olilit Village, take a turn to the coast and you will find Weluan Beach. The beach is clean and peaceful when deserted during weekdays.
- Rent a boat in Weluan Beach and find an island with some unusual rock formations right off shore.
- In the Olilit Village located toward the Olilit Airport is Kristus Raja, a direct translation of Christ the King. This is Yamdena’s main Catholic church. A statue of Jesus stands on top of the building, but was planned to be replaced with a new and improved version since some have criticized it as being rather comical.
- Tumbur Village is at the southwestern coast of Yamdena toward the Larat region up in the northeast coast. Here, people do woodcarving as their main profession. Discover the vivid artistic distinctions between modern woodcarvings, the older, and the ancient woodcarvings.
- The best that Yamdena has to offer is probably the megalithic stone formation at Sangliat Dol. Right at the center of the village is a stone boat left behind by the first inhabitants of the island. Going up from the village is a stone stairway that leads to another stone boat.
- Around 12 kilometers from Sangliat Dol is another form of stone boat, but differently formed. Find it at the Arui Bab Village.
In this place there are also regular events or activities held every year, both national and international.
The journey to Saumlaki is now very easy. We can enter through various modes of transportation.
The condition of the infrastructure is getting better. Starting from highways, airports, trails, ports, bridges, stairs, even some places can be reached by toll roads.
We can visit by plane, car, ship, bus, motorcycle and bicycle. At some point, we can take the train. We can also walk freely.
In Saumlaki, as technology getting better. We can easily find locations for mini markets, shops (warung kedai), ATMs, Bank BRI BCA BNI Mandiri, BTPN Bank Nagari BJB, supermarkets, and restaurants. So we will not starve or lack the necessary items.
Past travelers have warned that the locals are less hospitable than those on Maluku. As a near isolated region of Maluku, the Tanimbars still push themselves to improve their limited facilities and services. The town of Saumlaki is built around a single main street flanked by Chinese shophouses.
If you are sick and need help, you can also visit clinics, drugstore pharmacies (apotek), practice doctors, hospitals, and health centers (puskesmas).
In this place we can also look for places of worship such as mosques, churches, and others.
Finding place to stay in Saumlaki is very easy. We can stay at homestays, hotels, inns, hostels and other places.
To get lodging at a cheap and definitely comfortable price, please see below:
Experience and Reviews
There are already many visitors have visited Saumlaki, there are many interesting stories that are told. Like feeling satisfied, happy, wanting to come again, sleep well, and almost no one is disappointed or complains to come here.
So, visitors will find out on how to find the best hotels, where is exactly located, why it is amazing, how much is the fare and rate, who are the people, whom to ask, and when is the best time to visit.
We can visit these tourist attractions from Tanjung Pinang, Tanjung Redep, Tanjung Selor, Tapak Tuan, Tarakan, Tarutung, Tasikmalaya, Muara Bungo, Muara Enim, Muara Teweh, Muaro Sijunjung, Muntilan, Nabire, Negara, Nganjuk,
That’s all the information we provided, hopefully useful.